Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday's Fence!

This week, I have a different kind of fence to share with you...this requires a little background.

I live in the city - just 1 house away from a busy 4-lane street - and 3 blocks from the local fire department.  My neighborhood is a small one - just one loop with two short streets connecting both sides of the loop.  But, there is constant noise - trucks, buses, cars, fire engines, police cars, garbage trucks...you get the picture.  There has been a chain link fence up around our back yard for many, many years, long before I married Dan and moved here.  I am sure everyone knows what those fences look like after a few short years...and ours was no exception.  So, I have lobbied for a privacy fence for nearly 6 years now...and this week, I got it!    Except for the copper post caps, the fence is finished...Dan says the gates will withstand a Force 5 hurricane!  There are two 8' gates, on wheels to allow us to get the boat inside, and a "people" gate to allow us in and out without opening the massive gates.  I am not sure if this is what Janis had in mind for her meme...but there you have it.  My New Fence!  I am so excited...I am sure it will cut down on the noise, the road dirt, and the prying eyes!  

Hubby on the left, supervising (and the neighbor's blue-tarped shed just visible - been falling down for years, and last year, the tarp appeared...oh, joy!)

My son on the left, and his helper, Rod...

View of my new fence...

Gates!
And, no, I didn't put up the fence just to have something to photograph!
Linking to Friday's Fences!

22 comments:

Lesley said...

That is a massive gate! This should really cut down on the noise for you.

Gerald (SK14) said...

You are going to have to creosote it next.

eileeninmd said...

Linda, a wonderful privacy fence. I am sure it will help with the noise. Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!

Dianna said...

I know you'll enjoy this - for many reasons! Happy Friday!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i sure hope you don't have to have that kind of wind to see if it will really stand up to that kind of wind. but it is nice to know it would if it needed too. sounds like a busy neighborhood. hope you will enjoy your fence for many years to come. i totally understand the need for a fence. as they say some times the best neighbor ever. if only they could keep out the noise as well. ha. ha!! (:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

It takes skill to build a good fence.
Tell Me, Sister Crow

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
«Louis» can almost smell the new wood of the fence!

TexWisGirl said...

that is awesome! i know you will enjoy having that privacy SO much!!!

Nancy said...

I understand your enthusiasm for your new fence. I lived in So Cal next to a freeway for several years and never would have survived it without our "wall". Congratulations!

Tanya Breese said...

the fence turned out great and i love that gate!

Anonymous said...

Well that ought to take care of the noise AND the blue tarp problem all rolled into one! Looks great!

Pam (and Sam)

Kranky Granny said...

Oh Linda! My life is so like yours. We met on Yahoo Personals also. I neighborhood is very much like yours. I live on the corner of a very busy street and the firehouse is directly across the street. It is the only thing you can see out my kitchen window. Do I ever understand the noise. Worse is when they have to take all the engines out at once in the middle of the night.

Thanks for stopping by my skywatch/friday fence post. I enjoyed hearing from you. Hope you found something worth returning for.

Rose said...

I hope it eliminates a lot of noise...and it fits the meme fine.

Dianne said...

and now you can have your own little world!
the blue tarp would make me crazy
my neighbor duct taped the canopy of his kid's gym set and it's all I can see from my patio
I end up with duct tape headache
I hope the trees block it when their leaves come in

gtyyup said...

That's awesome!!! I'd go crazy too with all the noise and commotion going on...I'm sure you're going to really enjoy that fence for years to come.

Have a wonderful Easter!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

fantastic success story Linda! WoW!
Congratulations & Celebrations def in order :) as you say bye to that blue tarp !!

Blessed Easter weekend my friend...

CameraCruise said...

Great fence and I love the gate.
Happy Easter.

Red said...

Since I've built a few fences in my day I know that they are a lot of work. I would love to go without a fence. We have critters in the neighborhood and I would like to give them more openings. In your case you have some very legit reasons to have a good fence.

Carletta said...

I was so happy when a privacy fence came with my daughter's home. Houses are so close and neighbors on all sides. I like the privacy myself.
It looks beautiful!
I have to tell you before I enlarged that first one to really see your husband he reminded me of mine - even the way he stands and his orange shirt which my hubby wears a lot. :)

So sorry Tidewater was THE national news today.

Betty Manousos said...

this is a wonderful private fence, linda. lovely gate, too. i'm sure you're going to enjoy it for years to come.

wish you and yours a happy easter!

xo

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

The best kind of Friday Fence photo Linda! Your very own fence and an attractive fence too. Love the gates!

A Colorful World said...

Hooray for your lovely new fence!